email

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Clipboard not working in Windows XP

[Please write in comments session here if this post solves  your clipboard problem]
Many users often complain to their system adminstrator that their clipboard is not working and they are unable to do copy/paste operations and it is the task of sys admins to break their head to find out the reason. Dear sysadmin...no more you need to do that. I came across a good tool which can help you to solve this problem.

This problem generally occurs when a process locks clipboard for reading and writting and didn't release it properly. Clipboard will function normally after killing that process. The tool (GetOpenClipboardWindow) will help you to identify the culprit process. Download this tool now and share it with users.

From my experience, I can say that mostly mstsc.exe is the process which blocks the clipboard. The reason I assume here is simple because it dealts with clipboard of connected computer and your computer.

Happy Learning..,
Sitaram Pamarthi

tags : windows xp clipboard not working, windows XP clipboard problem, clipboard not working, copy and paste not working in windows, windows copy and paste issue

20 comments:

  1. When I used advanced clipboard programs like Freeclip it had been locked to making graphic clips from the screen indefinitely and with no chance to stop it. I've tried your applet and it didn't help me either. Please e-mail me 'mirple at inbox . ru' if you find solution. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See if http://support.microsoft.com/kb/840872 can solve your problem.

    Thanks,
    Sitaram Pamarthi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saddly the app didnt work for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. may be problem is different in your case. Reading about clipboard chains might help you to some extent

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sita for your help. I did realise that the problem happens with RDP connections as I work with 3 or 4 RDP connections at one time. Using your tool gave me a clue and now I can stop biting my computer out of frustration.

    Many Thanks,
    Arun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad that it helped you.. :-)

    Thanks,
    Sitaram
    My blog moved to http://techibee.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clipboard didn´t work locally for me.

    Used your utility, and it identified mstsc.exe as the culprit, just as you had foreseen.

    Thanks for great help :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks...

    I want to know why the clipborad was not working.... it looks like the clipborad was very buzing at that time...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went in and shut off the remote desktop as advised and restarted my computer and no more problems. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone for your comments. I am glad that this post helped you to resolve your issue. A year back I moved my blog to http://techibee.com. That is the reason I couldn't respond to your comments very soon.

    I appreciate if you can push the further comments to http://techibee.com/tools/clipboard-not-working-in-windows-xp/41 where I can respond much faster.

    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for that information. I simple close my mstsc.exe

    ReplyDelete
  12. THe software U gave helped me to identify...which process is the culprit..thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is one more way to solve this issue. Go to control panel > Keyboard >Hardware> Properties>Driver>Uninstall. Uninstall the keyboard in your machine (PC or laptop) and then restart your machine.

    Your clipboard will work...

    ReplyDelete
  14. HI there
    I am having continueing problems with the clipboard not working. The copied text will go there but only stay for about 5 secs before vanishing. I have completely wiped the drive and reinstalled XP SP3 and the problem has come back 2 weeks later. I did a system restore and it went away but has come back again the next day. 2 different anti virus programs have turned up nothing. I have run your program which came up with nothing. HELP!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Found the solution to my cut and paste not working that may well be affecting many other users.
    If you have Iobit System Care installed and useing the Ram Free component, make sure you have NOT selected the clean clipboard option!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Works in Windows 7 too!
    Great program? thank you

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've found that the msiexec.exe was running also after the reboot of the system.
    Thanks to GetOpenClipboardWindow I've found the process to kill.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Works in Windows 8 too !
    Thanks, a lot

    ReplyDelete